| Next step.. pavers! |
While the boys were playing with their toys, Stacy and I made my daily trip to Shady Grove. Since it is the weekend, today's trip was a short 1.5 hour (each way) drive to Rockville. Of course we had to stop and do a little bit of shopping on the way home!
Today's appointment was for more monitoring -- so one tube of blood and a short ultrasound. It is looking like I still have between 25 and 30 follicles, which is pretty awesome. My blood work also came back excellent, so this afternoon we received great news.
NO MORE SHOTS!!! Ok, I lied. One more shot. Tonight I get my Lupron trigger shot! This is to be taken exactly 36 hours prior to my scheduled retrieval procedure. That means we will be harvesting at 10:15 Monday morning. Not only am I excited to be done with the shots, but I am also ready for the extreme pressure and bloating to go away. Talk about a miserable couple of days. So our next few days look like this:
Sunday - Another trip to Rockville for ONE tube of blood. Yes, just one. However, we are hoping to spend a few hours in DC following this short appointment. I will need to take two Zithromax pills with dinner to prepare for Monday's procedure. No food after 3:00 am Monday and no liquids after 6:00 am.
Monday - I will need to get up prior to 3:00 am and eat something. This is a must for the anesthetics. Then I will need to drink something right before 6:00 am as well. We need to be at the clinic in Rockville no later than 8:45 am. This means an early morning anyway thanks to DC morning commute traffic. I will meet with everyone involved in the procedure during this hour and a half as well as being prepped. During this Matt will also do his part of the procedure. He is SO excited about this :)
The procedure itself will take about 30 minutes. They will use an ultrasound probe (this sounds comfortable) with a small needle attached to it. They will then "suck out" all of the follicles from both ovaries. Again, sounds pleasant! Thank goodness for anesthetics. After this I will be placed in the recovery room for about an hour.. then I am all Matt's responsibility! The one statement in the packet I received specifically says " Do not plan on making major decisions or going to work that day. If you go to work you may be acting like you are drunk and you are very likely to make mistakes in judgement." In other words, I am home for 24 hours after the procedure. That day they will be able to tell us how many eggs they retrieved, and that is it.
Tuesday - We will get a phone call telling us the number of eggs they were able to fertilize.
Wednesday - We will get a phone call telling us when the transfer will be performed and how many fertilized eggs are looking good. The transfer will occur on either Thursday or Saturday depending on how the embryos are looking. I will explain that procedure later, but I will be on 48 hours of bed rest following this one.
I decided to do a little relaxing this afternoon in preparation for the week that is to come. Mani & Pedi! I went with pink on both and a blue design on the toes - the reasoning you will find out shortly!
Of course, while we were doing all of this stuff, our furry children were having an eventful day of their own!
The last thing I want to include today is a link to a blog that one of my good friend's sister has written. She puts some things into perspective and I know that I could not write it better myself. I know I have made this sound "easy" and not too bad (thanks, Matt for increasing my sarcasm abilities a level or two!), but it is in fact anything but those things. It is hard. It is difficult. It is PAINFUL. It is stressful. In fact, the stress has made me sick. It is frustrating. I have been a ball of emotions over the last few weeks (I blame the extremely high levels of estrogen they are shooting in my daily), but I have done a pretty damn good job keeping them in check. Minus the verbal warning I got at my lacrosse game last week. Or the yellow card I got last night. Oops. (Maybe the ref should learn the rules..) Good thing I get to work with some awesome co-coaches and work with a pretty fantastic group of girls that make me look forward to my time with them every day. There are days I am just sad and upset. Then there are days where I am just plain mad and angry. What sets me off more than anything is when I see and hear people complain about their kids.. or anything that has to do with their kids. I'm not going to lie. I would like to slap them.. or kick them square in the shins. Whichever would inflict the most annoying pain.
So as I said, my friend's sister puts it all in to perspective for "outsiders" and explains things from "our" side. She has been dealing with this much longer than I.. a few years rather than our approximate one year. Happy Reading!
Link - http://infertileprivateparts.blogspot.com
All we are asking of you at this point, is to please keep us in your thoughts and prayers as we embark on the exciting and very scary week ahead!

No comments:
Post a Comment