Monday, April 22, 2013

Going on a Hunt.. An Egg Hunt

A rather large egg hunt.  But that is a VERY good thing.  First, I want to show my preparations for the week's events.  It is NIAW (National Infertility Awareness Week) and you are supposed to wear pink and blue in support.



This post is going to be a little different since today involved anesthesia and pain killers.  I am going to give my perspective and Matt is going to share his.  We will start with my view, part 1.  Matt can share part 2.

We were told to arrive at the clinic no later than 8:45 today.  Sounds like a pretty reasonable time, right?  Sure.. if you don't have to travel 270 right to where it heads in to DC on a Monday morning.  That meant a 5:00 am wake-up call for a 6:00 am departure.  Traffic really wasn't too bad until we hit Frederick.. and even there we only sat for a few minutes.  We then hit the second bout a few miles before our exit, but overall it wasn't anything to really complain about.  Positive number one for the day!

Upon arrival, we had to check in and sit in the waiting room with people who were entirely too happy and loud for a Monday morning surgical procedure.  I have been keeping positive through this, but c'mon people.  Shut up!  After about 15 minutes of waiting time, we were taken back to my chariot - aka, uncomfortable hospital bed.  I was given a very sexy hospital gown, booties, and hair thing (Matt has pictures he can choose to share if he'd like).  Basically, I was ready for a night on the town!  After I was changed and ready, my nurse came back in to go over all of the consent forms and our plan of action, and then we signed our lives away.. again.

Then we waited.. for a good half hour.  During that half hour I got to listen to another woman vomit for a good 15 minutes.  That really made me feel good about what I was about to go through.  Ugh.

Finally, the anesthesiologist came in.  I would tell you want he said, but he talked entirely too quietly and fast.  All I do know is that he insured me that he would give me something to counteract the sickness I get from anesthesia, and that he was now going to put in my IV.  Super.  My right arm is done for the time being.  They have exhausted all of the veins in that arm over the last couple of weeks, and I have the bruises to prove it.  So, left arm it was.  However, this arm had been used the last two days, so it had a nice lump blocking the needle.  After some pushing and shoving (thank goodness he numbed this area prior to place the port in) he was finally able to get the IV through (and it was PINK!).  Time for some fluids.  I hadn't been able to have anything since 3:00am this morning.  Yes, I did set my alarm form 2:45 and indulged in two rather large chocolate chip cookies at this time.  Give me a break.  A girl on hormones NEEDS her chocolate.  Don't judge.

An hour of fluids later, it was finally time to go.  I had to make one final trip to the restroom and then off to the OR.  I was able to walk there.  They put me in a nice bed just like those lovely things we women get to lay on for our yearly OBGYN exams, or the same type of bed I have been laying on daily for the last two weeks.  Stirrups included.  However, these were high class stirrups since I would be out of it and not able to hold my legs up.  The doctor came in and introduced herself to me and then started asking me questions about my demographics.  Name, spelling, DOB, SS number, etc.  This was happening at the same time I was being given the anesthesia through my IV.  I think I got most of the questions right, but the last thing I remember saying was "This shirt works fast".  No filter, remember?  Then I remember them telling my to "scoot down" right after they placed my legs on the glorified stirrups and got out the dildo cam and ginormous needle.  (thanks, Rachel for the new term I LOVE!.. aka, ultrasound probe) Then.. LIGHTS OUT



The next thing that comes to memory is the recovery room.. and Matt trying to talk to me.  That was nice of him.  However, all I wanted to do was tell him to shut up and let me sleep. Then the pain hit.  WOW.  I didn't expect it to be too bad.  But the cramps were like no cramps I have ever felt before.  I have previously had surgery on my cervix, and that was nothing compared to this. Talk about some serious cramps.  EVERYWHERE.  From my sternum to my upper legs.  Cramps.  Now, I must share that my pain tolerance is not exactly "high".  I am a wuss.  There, now you know.  So maybe these weren't as bad as I am conveying.. but on my spectrum, they were/are.  I kept saying I wanted to go to the bathroom.  So after only 10 minutes in recovery, I walked to the bathroom.  Pretty good, I think.  

When I got back they had crackers and water waiting.. along with a pain shot as well as a shot to help get rid of the massive amount of follicle fluids in me.  At this point, I just wanted to go home.  I down at least 4 packs of crackers, some water, got dressed.. and I was ready to get the heck out.  Matt claims I walked out looking better than anyone else he saw because I could stand straight and walk on my own.  Down four flights on the elevator and to the car. Hmm.. I have yet to sit down since I've been up.  Not so pleasant.  Sitting is a BIG pain increaser.  So, the seat was reclined, and I know I slept in and out during the 2 hour drive home.  I remember having some conversation with Matt, but I do not remember the stop at Wal Mart to get the extra strength Tylenol for when I run out of Vicodin.  Oh and Apple Juice.  Sounded good at the time.

When we got home, we had to put Sophie out so she wouldn't jump on me and kept Rooney in his crate since he is a pup and doesn't know any better.  Somehow I made it up the stairs and to the bedroom.  Then, I realized.. I had to pee.  Oh freaking no.  This is NOT going to feel good.  I was right.. holy pain.  I am going to blame the ginormous needle and dildo cam.  But I did it.. and then hobbled to bed where I proceeded to take a Vicodin and pass out for a few hours.  When I woke up I was feeling a little better.  Ate some toast and kept it down.  Positive number two for the day.  No sickness and good sleep!

After my good solid nap, I got a nice visit from Katie Reiblich and ate some more toast.  Still not sickness!  So, a nice visit and still not sickness is positive number three for the day.

I have been feeling ok.. but walking and sitting are rough.  I will not talk about the bathroom, because that is still not pleasant either.  In fact, I am trying to avoid it.  Ugh.  School is iffy at this point tomorrow.  I just took one more pain pill and settled in to bed.  Dirty Dancing is on and Matt just brought me Panera. perfect way to end the day!  My medications are not over.  I now start a pill twice daily until our pregnancy test (in approximately 2.5 weeks) and a (sorry, guys) vaginal insert 3 times a day until the test.  More pleasantries.. but these will build up the uterus wall/lining so the embryo(s) have a better chance of attaching after our transfer.

Our transfer will be done (back in Rockville) on either Thursday or Saturday.  The BEST positive of the day is that they were able to collect 27 good eggs!  The average is generally 8-15.  We have 27.  That makes me hopeful for some good, fertilized, viable eggs.  They will call us tomorrow to let us know how many have fertilized to that point.  If they are able to pick out a few of the "best" embryo's, we will be able to transfer on Thursday.  If we have too many to pick out the best few, we will have our transfer on Saturday so they can watch the "survival of the fittest".  If we have any left over, they will be frozen for future transfers/cycles.  Our success rate for the one particular cycle is 60%.  This is not bad, but there is still at 40% chance it will not work and we will need to use the frozen guys.

Today I became VERY aware and frustrated with the lack of compassion some people have. That is for a completely different post, but I would also like to slap them or kick them in the shins.  My sister in law sent me a card that describes the feeling to a T!  Thanks, Meg!


That is all for today.. from me.  I will update tomorrow with the numbers we are given!

1 comment:

  1. 27!! I was reading and reading waiting to hear what number. Geez. You know how to hang us out on a cliff! Lol
    That is AWESOME! Praying for lots of strong embies!!!
    Don't worry if your doctor didn't buy you dinner before shoving the dildo cam in you. Mine didn't either! Rude.

    Grow embies. Grow!!! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete