Sunday, April 14, 2013

Injections

Now that we have had a few days to "process" the injection process, I will share our experience.  We are currently on day 4.. of either 10 or 12.  For the last three nights I have been getting 2 different injections each night.  Of course I was not able to do it myself, so Matt has been playing phlebotomist every night!

Injection # 1 - Gonal-F.
I get 225cc of this daily.  It is not pre-mixed, so we get to do that part as well.  We have to take the syringe of saline and shoot it into the vial of powdered medication.  After a few minutes of mixing, we then have to place it into the syringe on the left.  This one is not too bad.  The needle is so small that I can barely feel it and the medication is is room temperature so I can barely feel that as well.  Overall, this guy is not too bad.

Injection # 2 - Menopur


I DESPISE this injection.  DESPISE.  This one is not pre-mixed either and takes a little more effort to get ready.  The original syringe comes with a hellish long needle that will NOT ever be entering my skin.  First step--pop that puppy off.  Next, you have to attach a Q-cap (little thing in the middle).  We have to get the saline out of its vial and mix it with powdered medication vial #1.  Then we get to mix it with a second vial of power so it is double the concentration - a total of 150 something.  Pop the Q-cap off and put on a much smaller needle.

This thing makes me cringe and say some unmentionable words.  Ok, maybe a few more than some.  Again, the needle itself is not bad.  It is that lovely solution that is double the concentration.  This burns like none other.  Of course, I also tense up which makes it probably ten times as bad.. but I just can't help it.  It is 100% pure pain and I dread it every single night.  At least for the last four nights.. and will continue for the next either or nine.

We have been told to give the injections in a different location each night.  At this point I am starting to look like a drug addict, or dart board with all of the different sites.. and I've only had 3 of each.

I will soon be adding a third injection to the mix as well.  I just keep telling myself it will be worth it in the end!

No comments:

Post a Comment