Friday, June 27, 2014

One week

How is it possible that we have a one week old already?  It is so surreal and sometimes I still feel like I need to pinch myself to make sure that this is real.

Half of our first week was spent in the hospital, and the other half at home.  The days we spent in the hospital are a bit of a blur.  Nurses in and out of the room every couple of hours to check my vitals (my BP was taking it's good old time coming down), give me pain medication, check to see if I pooped (which was a VERY scary thing after having the c-section!)  and check Hudson's vitals.  Then add in the lactation consultants because he wasn't at all interested in latching.  Then add the doctors to check my incision multiple times a day and to check Hudson for jaundice, etc.  

I can say that every one of our nurses was awesome.  One was a bit awkward, but they were all incredibly helpful and accommodating and had excellent bedside manner.  If I could somehow thank each and every one of them individually (which I did every time they came in) in some large way, I would.  They made our extended stay so much easier. I could not have asked for a better staff throughout our five days.

So, a few things about Hudson's first week!

1 - Diapering.  My predicted "big baby" turned out to be a peanut.  He is a bit too big for premie diapers, but the newborn size is slightly loose on him.  What does that mean?  The boy pees through outfits like it's his job!  Now, part of this has been my fault.  I admit that I forget to "tuck it down" at least once or twice a day.  Ahh.. boys!  He is also notorious for peeing all over the place as we are changing his diapers! It doesn't matter if we try to cover it or make it as speedy as possible.  He finds a way!  This leads right in to number 2.

2 - Laundry.  People have told me that I would be doing a lot of baby laundry, and I believed them.  However, I didn't realize the volume of that laundry!  As a result of my little man peeing through multiple outfits a day, I can literally do 2+ loads of baby laundry a day.  Not only does he soak his outfits, but also his crib sheets, changing pads, and receiving blankets.  I can honestly say that I LOVE doing baby laundry.  Nothing is cuter than folding those teeny, tiny (I had to go buy a few more newborn items since he is so small!) little onesies and pants.  And the socks.. oh my cuteness!

3 - Help.  We were discharged from the hospital Monday afternoon.  My mom came Monday night and spent the first couple of days and nights with us to help us adjust and figure things out.  I cannot thank her enough.  The extra set of hands and experience was so beyond helpful and appreciated.  She is also coming back tonight to spend the weekend with us!  Not only did she help out with night feedings, changings, etc., but she also cleaned our house and did ALL of our laundry so that I could rest as much as possible.  I am so lucky that she has the ability to do this and WANTS to as well.  Love you, Mom!

4 - Adjusting to the dogs.  We had some ideas as to how the dogs would act/react when we brought Hudson home, but you never know for sure until you are home.  Matt carried Hudson in to the house in his car seat.  We sat the seat on the floor and let the dogs loose.  Rooney was first in line - of course.  He smelled, he licked, and then he dropped his stuffed ball in the seat and looked at Hudson like he was supposed to throw it for him!  Success!  Sophie was next.  She simply smelled, wagged her tail and walked away.  They both love to smell him constantly.  Rooney still licks him every chance he gets--especially his feet.  Overall, the adjustment has been smooth and the dogs have exceeded our expectations!  Rooney likes to lay in front of the crib and Sophie gets all worked up when Hudson cries.  She alerts us (like we don't already know) and shows genuine concern.  It is so cute.  I can see this turning into a classic "a boy and his dogs" in the future :)

5 - Sleeping.  I hope I don't jinx myself by including this topic in this post!  My boy is an excellent sleeper.  Our first night home was rough.  He didn't sleep AT ALL.  He was restless, he kept looking for food, he peed through jammies, etc.  We decided to increase his food intake (I'll touch on that later) and put him in his crib rather than his bassinet the second night.  What a world of difference!  He likes to move!  As soon as you lay him down, he rolls to his side - either one.  He didn't have the room to do this in the bassinet.  He starts out facing one way and is always facing the complete opposite direction when he wakes up!  The past two nights he has slept in four hour increments.  Basically, we feed him at 10:30 and then put him to bed.  He wakes up to eat around 2:30 and then immediately goes back to sleep.  He then gets up around 6:30 to eat again.  At this point, I get up for the day.  He does go back to sleep, but not in his crib.  He also does not like being swaddled.  He tolerates it from the chest down, but he wants his arms free.  They are always stretched out above his head - just like his momma sleeps :)  Sometimes, he takes a pacifier, sometimes he does not.  Depends on how he is feeling that day, I guess!  So, overall.. we have been EXTREMELY LUCKY with his sleeping habits. I hope they continue!

6 - Feeding.  I tried breast feeding when we were in this hospital.  Hudson refused to latch and stay latched.  We tried the shield.  Same result.  So after a day, we started supplementing with formula to make sure he was getting enough to eat.  I was then given a hospital grade pump and told to pump 4-5 times a day.  I.made.nothing.  I pumped 4-5 times a day on Sunday and Monday and literally had nothing to show for it.  MAYBE a half a syringe full, but that's it.  When we were discharged, we were told to give him 1.5 ounces of formula at each feeding and to continue to pump to see if my milk would ever come in.  I was also given Fenugreek to take three times a day.  Tuesday morning was the turn around!  I pumped and actually had something to show for it!  Now, not near enough to cover even on full feeding, but it was something.  But, that has continued to increase!  So, what are we currently doing?  He gets 2.5-3 ounces per feeding.  He tells us when he is done.  Sometimes this is breast milk, sometimes it is formula.  We try to do breast milk during the day and then prepare the formula bottles for the night feedings.  Matt generally feeds him because I pump during this time.  I am happy to report that I currently have two frozen bags and three full storage bottles in my refrigerator at this time!  I do adjust my pumping schedule at least twice a day so I can feed him as well.  I love that time.

I did have an appointment with the lactation consultant on Wednesday.  At this time, no matter what she did, Hudson would still not remain latched.  So after discussion, this is our plan of action and what we will continue to do.  It works for our family and he is still benefitting from breast milk - just from a bottle instead.  And I am a-ok with that!  Again, we still supplement with formula so that he is getting the amount he needs.

And finally, a small update on me.  I am still taking pain medication 4 times within 24 hours.  I can tell you when it is starting to wear off!  My stomach muscles are not as sore as they were at the beginning of the week, but they are not completely back to normal.  My incision is looking great (I think anyway, but I'm not a doctor!) and seems to be healing very well.  I do have some pain around the area, but nothing major.  I think I have finally gained back most of my energy from the 32 hours of labor/pushing.. and that is a huge help!  I have my one week check-up later today (with my bff, Dr. Smith), so we will see what she has to say and go from there.  Overall, I think that my recovery has been pretty smooth.  I did need to catch up on my rest, and thankfully have an amazing husband and mom that gave me the opportunity to do so.  I just have to watch my activity throughout the day.  

With all of that being said, I will leave you with a few pictures from our first week!








4 comments:

  1. He's absolutely adorable and I loved reading your update! Thanks for sharing. Congrats to you and your sweet, sweet family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HUDSON! You make my heart go pitter patter! You are too cute for words and have the best mommy and daddy and fur brother and sister!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. New reader here. I found your blog through a few other's I read from Instagram. Yours totally reminds me of a cross from Kristen Wiklund and a few others on there from your posts. You guys all must be friends to be all so much a like with your topics and wordings. Small world I suppose! Congrats on your new baby and beating the infertility monster. I aspire to cross that checkpoint someday!

    ReplyDelete