A lot has happened since our first anniversary. At this time last year, we were recovering from a miscarriage and just waiting for my cycle to return to so we could start again. We were lounging on the beach in the Outer Banks soaking up every second of relaxation that we could. We were grieving, but preparing to push forward.
We had a lot to celebrate this year.
- Our third cycle (2nd FET) resulted in a positive pregnancy.. and our little boy is due in less than two weeks!
- We updated some rooms in our home.
- We worked on our yard more than we care to admit - and have many more years of work to come!
- We paid off my student loan.
- We traveled to San Francisco for a long weekend.
- We celebrated the holidays with family.
- We put an entire room of furniture together - TOGETHER.. without hurting each other!
- We celebrated the birth of our second niece.
- We celebrated my brother's college graduation.
- We finally cleaned and somewhat organized our basement (we still have work to do there, but at least our boxes are unpacked!)
- We trained Rooney without taking him to obedience class.
- And so much more..
They key word in all of these things is WE. We spent a lot of time this year, just the two of us, just being together. It was perfect and I enjoyed every single second of it.
So, how did we celebrate? Well, I'm not allowed to travel anywhere at this point, so we stayed local. We had breakfast with Matt's mom and sister, did a few things around the house, visited with my mom, brother, sister, and Katie (brother's girlfriend) as they stopped on their way home from the beach, and then we had our "date night". We had dinner at Texas Roadhouse (I crave steak constantly) and played a round of mini golf after. The plan was to top off the night with ice cream, but believe it or not, I was not hungry enough to devour any ice cream!
We also exchanged gifts. The traditional gift for year two is cotton. Yeah, that's an easy one. NOT. What do you get someone that is cotton? I spent hours and hours searching for the perfect gift for Matt.. and finally found it! Matt teaches 7th grade World Geography and he LOVES to travel. We both do. I found a shop on ETSY that sells world maps printed on cotton canvas. The purpose of the map is to use the colored pins to pin places you have been individually, together, and places you hope to go in the future. Could it be any more perfect? Nope! I did a little DIY to frame it so we can hang it in our living room. Here is a photo of the finished product.
I was also able to personalize the map with our name and wedding date. I'm hoping to have it hung by the end of the week.
Matt did equally as well with his gift! I love pajamas.. all kinds of cute pajamas. He got me a pajama gram that ended up being for more than just me! He got a set for him, me and Hudson.. all exactly the same! The only difference it the type of top. First, they are super SUPER soft. Second, this is so incredibly sentimental. I am so excited to wear them!
He also picked out a beautiful set of slide earring for my Pandora posts. I don't have a picture of those.
I DO NOT need gifts to make a day perfect or to even celebrate.. but I think we hit the nail on the head this year.
I will end this post with a "tribute" to my awesome husband. There is no way in hell I would have survived everything that I have throughout the past two years without him by my side. He is my rock, my shoulder to cry on, my ear to listen, my sounding board, my soul mate, my best friend. He makes my life so much better and I would not want to go through a single day without him by my side. Happy Anniversary, Matt. I love you more than you know. <3
Happy happy anniversary!
ReplyDeleteHappy anniversary!!!!
ReplyDeleteHappy anniversary girlie! I LOVE both of your gifts - so crazy - we have basically that same map with the pins in our living room too!! So cute!
ReplyDelete