Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Thankful.

I started this post on Thanksgiving.  But then life got in the way and I never got the chance to finish it!  Better late than never, right?

I am thankful for so many things every day of the year, but I like to use Thanksgiving as my way to reflect on the specific things I am/have been thankful for this year.  This Thanksgiving has been my best yet as we got to share it with Hudson.  He enjoyed sweet potatoes, carrots and bananas as his Thanksgiving feast.  And by enjoy, I mean that he ate every single bite we gave him.  No wonder he is getting so big!

Last year I listed a few individual things that I was thankful for.  This year I am going to list one - and then elaborate on everything that is has surprisingly given me.

Believe it or not, this year I am thankful for my infertility.  Now, I do not wish this disease on anyone and it would be so nice not to have to go through treatments to have a shot at pregnancy.  But on the other hand, my infertility has given me so many things and taught me many valuable lessons.

My infertility taught me the true meaning of patience, made me more humble and has strengthened my faith.  Those three things make me very thankful.

My infertility has also given me things that I would otherwise not have gotten.  First and foremost, is my son.  Without my treatments, I would not have him.  He brings me so much joy and is without a doubt the best thing that has ever happened to me.  His smile brings an instant smile to my face and he can make any bad day into a great day.  He is literally my pride and joy.  He has taught me the true meaning of being a mother and I am more than proud to be his mommy.  Hudson, I love you more than you will ever know.

The second thing my infertility has done is strengthened my marriage.  These treatments are not for the weak and struggling couples.  It will not serve as a means to bring you together.  Instead, it tries to rip you apart by throwing all kinds of hoops and obstacles at you.  Together, Matt and I got through all of these and as a result, our marriage is stronger than ever.  I wouldn't want to navigate through this journey with anyone else.

Infertility has blessed me with friendships that I otherwise would not have.  It has given me unbreakable bonds with some of the strongest, most amazing women I know.  And what brought us together?  We share the common bond of being infertile.  We know and understand what each other has gone through and we just get each other.  There are a few girls that I clicked with from the beginning of my journey, and to this day, their friendships are a true blessing to me.  When I am struggling or have something to share (even if it's TMI.. haha) they are my go to.  I am do my best to be the same for them.  Who else would understand my love for emojis and memes?  Matt asks me daily what I am laughing at when I check my phone.  I can guarantee it is something these girls have said or sent.  They are my saving grace.  Love you girls - and I look forward to the day we can all meet in person.

These three are just a small list compared to the overall whole that my infertility has actually given me.  It is a daily struggle, but it has also opened my eyes to so many things and given me so many life experiences.  And honestly, I truly am thankful for all that it has given me.

Again, a little late, but better than never.  Here is our first family Thanksgiving photo!


No comments:

Post a Comment