Christmas in our family always begins the Saturday prior to Christmas. We spent the evening at my Grandpa's house eating non-traditional foods, chatting, and gift giving.
We would begin Christmas Eve by spending it at my Grandma and Papa's house. We ate dinner full of sandwiches and finger foods, we opened, presents, and we spent time with family. When it was time to leave, we would spend an extra 30 minutes or so driving around to see Christmas lights before going home. We we got home, we would get out the Polar Express book and read it as a family. We put out cookies and milk for Santa (my siblings are 7 and 10 years younger than I), and we went to bed. I don't think anyone slept but my dad - he would sleep through a hurricane. We all anxiously awaited Santa's arrival.. anticipating what he would bring. At 6:00 am we would get up, open our stockings, and then sprint down the stairs to see what Santa had brought. *My parents never (even to this day) put the gifts under the tree until after everyone went to bed.*
We would call my Grandma, who was patiently waiting for her phone to ring, and as soon as she arrived at our house, we would begin opening gifts - one by one. Everyone would then get ready, and my mom always hosted lunch on Christmas day. Prime Rib. I'm salivating just thinking about it. Everyone would nap in the afternoon, and then we would be off again to my Grandma's house to eat yet again and open more gifts.
By the time the day was over, we were all completely exhausted.. and sad. All of the preparations, all of the excitement, over so quickly.
When Matt and I got married, we changed our traditions a bit. We would spend Christmas Eve going to church, having dinner and Christmas with Matt's mom and sister. We started our own tradition where we give each other pajamas Christmas Eve. We would wake up Christmas morning and exchange gifts between us and then get ready and make the drive to my parents to continue the rest of the day as normal. Lunch at my parents and dinner at my Grandma's. We would stay a couple of days and head back home. And just like that, it was all over again.
Last year was our most special, yet different Christmas yet. During the year, my Grandma had passed. Christmas was her favorite and though I miss her like crazy all of the time, it is just different during the holidays. Nostalgia. Though we were missing her last year, we were able to bless our family by announcing that our third round of IVF had been successful and that we were expecting in June.
I definitely thought it would be difficult to top last year, however I don't think I've ever been as excited for Christmas as much as I am this year. Hudson was born in June and this will be our first Christmas with him. I know that he has no idea what is going on, but I had so much fun shopping for him. I am well aware that I have spoiled him and that we will probably need 3 hours alone just for him to open gifts. It's his first Christmas and I want it to be special.
Our plans are a little different this year. This past weekend we celebrated Christmas with my Grandpa and Grandma and Matt's mom and sister. Since Hudson does not understand what is happening this year, we decided to drive to my parents Christmas Eve and spend the night there. We will wake up Christmas morning to all of the things that Santa left for him. It will be a full house - my parents, the three of us, my brother and his girlfriend, my sister and her boyfriend, and four dogs. It will be totally chaotic, but I am beyond excited. I plan to teach Hudson the real reason for the season, but I also plan to do Santa as well. There is just something so special about seeing the Christmas magic through the eyes of little kids. And it is something I have been looking forward to for years.
We are continuing our pajama tradition and have bought Hudson his first pair of Christmas jammies. I cannot wait to give them to him! We also got him his first Christmas ornament for his very own tree. My plan is to get him one every year, so that we he moves out (when he's 42) he will have ornaments for his very own tree and will hopefully remember each and every Christmas while he was growing up.
What are some of your favorite traditions?
I hope you all have a very Merry Christmas and enjoy time spent with family and friends.
I will leave you with some pictures from Hudson's 6 month/Christmas photo shoot. I am in love and cannot wait to see the rest. Thank you, Emerald Skye Photography!








No comments:
Post a Comment