Monday, August 12, 2013

Weekend Recap

Matt and I spent last week taking a grad class together.  Yes, a class together! haha  It was an iPad course where we learned how to effectively use iPads in our classroom.  Being that I teach technology, I thought it was freaking awesome and learned a lot that I plan to implement this year!  Two thumbs up for Eduspire.

This weekend was another busy one, and as usual, this update is going to include more pictures than you probably want to see.

We had a 5:30 am wake up call Saturday morning.  We jumped in the car and drove to Shady Grove in Rockville for my weekend monitoring appointment.  It was the usual tube of blood, followed by an ultrasound to check the thickness of my uterine lining and to make sure my ovaries weren't acting all crazy or anything.



Nothing but good news!  My ovaries were quiet, as they should be.  My uterine lining measured 9.9mm.. and they are only looking for 8mm.  I am responding very well to the injections - as I did last time.

Twenty minutes later, we were back in the car.  Fast forward two hours and we made a quick stop at our home to pick up the furry kids, and then back on the road with my parent's house as our destination this time.  Another two hours later, we finally arrived at our final destination!  We spent a little bit of time hanging out with the family before getting on the road again.  A couple of hours later.. and yes, you guessed it.. back on the road!  This time, our destination was Anna (my cousin) and Anthony's wedding!  The venue was almost as beautiful as the bride!



My sister's boyfriend and brother's girlfriend couldn't make it.  This is their couples photo!

Sisters
My family

Matt & I

My momma

The bride and groom!  Anna & Anthony


Sending a big congrats to the happy couple and thanking them for a wonderful night!

Now, the "fun" part of the wedding!  The doctor called while we were in the car at some point to let me know that my blood work came back great and gave me the go ahead to start the PIO injections that night.  PIO = Progesterone in Oil.  No big deal, right?  This is only the largest needle I have had to deal with and the first oil based liquid.  Oh, and I would need to get it right in the middle of the wedding reception.  So, I packed up my supplies and my Sharps container in a stylish little bag (that matched my outfit) and off we went.



Needless to say, my nerves were a bit of a mess all night.  I'm not sure what I was scared of. I guess it was the larger needle and the fact that I would be doing this for the first time in my aunt and uncles hotel room.  Yikes.  The time finally arrived and we made the trek to the room.  Matt hiked up my dress, bent me over a chair, and.. (dirty minds, people) gave me my first PIO injection.



Now, the injection itself - not bad at all.  The needle did not hurt, despite the fact that I could feel every part of it in my muscle.  However, the aftermath.. ouch.  My doctor told me to immediately apply heat after the injection for approximately ten minutes.  Easy.  Except tonight.  Remember, I am in a hotel room.  So I tried to heat it with a hot wash cloth, but that did not do the job.  My muscle tensed like it did back when I played sports (anyone that played field hockey knows a little somethin' somethin' about "hockey butt").  A little while later we decided to go home.  I applied heat as soon as we got to my parent's house, but it was too late.  I had one sore muscle that extended all through my leg and hip for a good 24 hours.

A good night's sleep and another two hour drive back to our house later, and it was time for PIO number two PLUS my Del Estrogen shot.  This time we did things a little differently.  I walked around for a few minutes after the injection and immediately applied heat.  What a world of difference those little things make!  The pain was nothing near what I had the night before!



And I had a little friend to help me with the heating!



Overall consensus - not too bad.  Nothing I can't handle and nothing to complain about.  Just something that is added to our every day lives!  And one step closer to our transfer and hopefully BFP.

As far as our transfer - it is scheduled for Thursday.  My nurse will call tomorrow and give us an exact time and tell me that I need to drink enough water to have a full bladder by the time we arrive at the clinic.  Easy-peasy.  After the transfer, I will be on 24 hours (minimum) of bed rest, and I plan on taking full advantage of that since school starts (well, meetings) next week.  

We are hoping and praying this is the one.  Any support and prayers we could get from all of you, would be icing on the cake and more than appreciated.  I am very nervous going in to this transfer considering the outcome of our last cycle.  Worrying.   No other way to describe how I am feeling.  Sigh..  Part of the infertility battle.

I want to end this on a happy note.  A big congrats goes out to my sister/friend Kristen and her husband Chris!  They just had their second beta test with reaffirmed that they are in fact pregnant!  So excited and happy for them!  <3

1 comment:

  1. OMG girlie I love this post! I didn't realize you did so much driving! Seriously you are an inspiration to so many - you are taking these I injections like a pro - I am so proud! I cannot wait for you to be just a few short weeks behind me ! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete