Yesterday began just like any other day. Construction equipment moving around at the new house across the street starting around 6:30, dogs sitting by the window watching every move the workers make.. and adding an occasional bark, and the beautiful sun shining in my face. I love being able to watch the sunrise from my bed! However, it was far from an ordinary day.
We started with our normal routine. Feed the dogs, take them out, give Rooney a bath for like the 20th time in the week after he rolls in the mud/mulch/grass, eat breakfast and get ready. Then, we varied from our normalcy (from the last three months, anyway). We hopped in the car and headed for Rockville. Luckily, we were past rush hour time so we hit virtually no traffic. We made sure to leave in plenty of time so we could grab a quick bite for lunch prior to our appointment at Shady Grove. Our restaurant of choice? Five Guys!
 |
| I'd like a little bit of bread and lettuce with my bacon and pickles, please? |
Two big, fat greasy sandwiches and a gigantic drink (to fill my bladder) later, it was time to pull into the clinic's parking lot and make our way to the 4th floor - the "surgical" floor. We arrived around 12:10 and were taken back into the transfer area pretty much immediately. The nurse reviewed my information, gave us our fashionable booties, and strapped my "hospital" bracelet to my write. Then we were led to a transfer room - which just so happened to be the same transfer room we were in last time. The nurse wrote our information on the board, gave me the nice "blanket" and my instructions, and out she went. The next twenty minutes seemed like an eternity. Why do they make you sit in those rooms for twenty whole minutes doing absolutely nothing? Our room was right by the lab, so we could hear them jamming to their music and going about their business - all while I'm wondering how our embryos are looking.
FINALLY, our doctor came in to review our decisions and sign the paper work. Matt and I had many discussions about the number of embryos we wanted to transfer this time. We had 14 frosties going into this transfer. We also had the outcome and answers from our last cycle. After many conversations, we determined that we wanted to transfer two embryos this cycle. Yes, there are many risks with this.. but there are also many positives. We weighed them all and decided this was what we wanted to try. The doctor told us that our first two embryos thawed perfectly and were beautiful - which they told us last time. In other words, our two embryos looked great, and we still have twelve waiting for us in the freezer.
 |
| Our two beautiful embryos! Praying for lots of sticky-ness! |
The rest of the procedure was exactly the same as last time. Nurse pushing the sonogram wand on my bladder so the doctor could see what she was doing, the embryologist showing us our embryos on one screen and then brining them into the room, and the doctor using a catheter to gentry transfer them into my uterus while we watch the "flash" on the screen. Literally, a five minute procedure - if that. We waited one more minute to make sure everything came out of the catheter ok, and then I had to lay on my back for an additional five minutes. After that, the discharge nurse came in with my instructions - continue on the same meds/injections - and we were out the door.
 |
| My lucky socks from the beautiful Kristen! My doctor LOVED them! |
This time was very different. I had virtually no pain. A little cramping with the actual transfer, but that is it. Last time I had horrible cramping for hours after. I am blaming that on my huge ovaries at the time. Last time I was exhausted. This time, I was not. Last time bed rest drove me crazy. This time, I am relaxing and enjoying it.. with Matt and the furry kids by my side. Oh, and delicious meals in bed from my mother-in-law!
What is the same is that I was and am still a ball of emotions. I am doing my best to push out the worry and fear and replace it with excitement and positive energy (PMA, as Matt says!). I am not in control of this, God is. He has a plan for me.. for us. This cycle will work out the way He wants it to, and that is something I am doing my best to accept. I will continue to pray that He blesses us with a successful cycle and full-term pregnancy, and I ask that you all do the same.
Sending a very special Happy Birthday shout-out to one of my favorite girls!
Happy Friday, ya'll!
OMG those embryos are just beautiful!! I have everything crossed for you and am sending so many prayers! Love you girl!
ReplyDeleteso glad it was pain free! God is in control - staying hopeful with you!
ReplyDelete