I knew I didn't want a "theme".. and by theme, I mean jungle, ocean, etc. I was more into the color scheme and knew the rest would come together. When we found out we were having a boy, I immediately knew that I wanted black furniture for the room and light gray walls, but I didn't want everything to be strictly black and gray. I decided to throw some white into the mix. Bold, I know.
I then did some searching on Etsy for things to hang on the walls. I was immediately drawn to a canvas set that included an anchor print, a sailboat print, and an initial print. If you have been following my blog for awhile, you might remember the post about my art project for the main wall. My friend, Julie, and I ended up making these three prints on our own - and saved a ton of money! From there.. my "theme" emerged without me even realizing it. I guess you can see it is a sailor type.. mostly around anchors.. with a little chevron here and there.
I love anchors, always have.. and have one tattooed on my wrist. It was my daily reminder during IVF that I have grounded roots, but refuse to sink no matter what is thrown at me. I want Hudson to feel the same way. Fall seven times, get up eight.
I wanted things to remain simple for a few reasons. One, he is a boy. Most boys don't care about style, patterns, etc. Second, I like simple things. Classy, but simple.
We found the perfect furniture on Wayfair's website. We ended up getting a convertible crib complete with the future bed rails, which means this will be his bed that will go with him when he moves out many, many, many years down the road. We also purchased a long dresser as well as a chest of drawers. Again, this is his long-term furniture. My parents got each one of us a bedroom suit when we were growing up with the understanding that it was ours when it came time to move out. I was and am so thankful for that bedroom suit and we still use it to this day - it was just recently moved out of our master bedroom to one of our guest rooms. 16+ years and still going strong!
Sticking with my simple style, I found the perfect bedding on Pottery Barn Kids website. It's white with a gray outline and gray embroidery. All of his sheets are gray. Chevron, polka dot, elephant, solid gray, and sailboats.
Then came the walls. I had the prints that I had made to hang above his crib. The other walls were still bare. We ended up going with simple, black book/frame shelves from Ikea for the other solid wall in the room. I am so happy with how they turned out. My mom bought me a wooden wall hanging with lyrics for the third wall. The fourth wall is still blank. That is my 1% that is not finished, and will explain why later!
So, without farther ado, I give you the full nursery tour complete with more pictures than you probably care to see!
I love, love, love these shelves from Ikea! They have a ledge that allows you to easily sit books and frames without them sliding off. We used it to display some of his books and two of my favorite prints.
This chair may end up in our bedroom rather than staying here, but this is where we decided to put it for now. The print on the wall includes the lyrics to "You are my sunshine", which my mom used to sing to me when I was young.
This guy is stacked. He has so many clothes between his closet and dressers! I still need to take a few things out, but it came together pretty well.
He is stacked in diapers as well, thanks to our family and friends!
I love these wire bins from Crate and Barrel. I have them in both upstairs bathrooms to hold bottles, make up, etc. Great for organization! The jar is from there as well.
I went with the gray chevron sheet first. Why? Because I love chevron! Yes, I know the pillows and things need to come out of the crib.. and they will before he sleeps in it for the first time.
I love how the canvases look hanging above his bed. Simple. Also love his quilt.
This picture is totally crooked. I have another jar from Crate and Barrel housing his pacifiers. The container on the right is an antique sugar tin that was my Grandmas. I have two pictures coming from our maternity photo shoot to add to this dresser, and then the room will be 100% complete.. unless we add in some construction. Construction? Yes. If you look closely at the top of the dresser, you will see the top of the light switch for this room right in the middle. I have no idea what the contractors were thinking when they built our house and it never occurred to me that it would be an issue down the road. Dumb. We may make them come move it to the more "normal" location.
Anywho, there is his bedroom. I am beyond pleased with how it turned out and hope he loves it in the future.
We also had to do some rearranging in the kitchen last weekend. Our kitchen is far from big, and while it may look like we have a lot of cabinets, we don't. I was able to move some things, get rid of others, and transport even others to the basement to open up a full cabinet to store the many, many things our tiny human needs/will need! I spent a few hours last weekend sterilizing everything and drying it all on my awesome Boon Lawn and Twig :) Our kitchen looked like it was being taken over by the baby!
This cabinet it right beside the sink.. which I've been told is the best place for everything! I boiled a few things, but found that the Medela Steam Bags worked wonders and were much quicker. I highly recommend them! Two ounces of water and three minutes in the microwave. That's it!
I have one more "project" in the kitchen to make just a bit more space. I ordered a wall organizer to get rid of all of our papers, mail, keys, etc. that sit on the counter next to the stove/oven. I then plan to take all of our cooking utensils and place them in the basket on the counter to open up a drawer (we only have 4!) for the little guy's silverware and other items.
I guess you could say that my nesting phase has set in. I am currently all about getting things organized and put away and making sure I am prepared for everything we have coming up this summer! I am so beyond excited to meet our Hudson in just a few short weeks!




Love, love, love! All looks fab, Hudson will love it :)
ReplyDeleteLove it all!! So perfect!!! :) and I am loving the diaper stash :)
ReplyDelete