Thursday, February 13, 2014

Art project with a side of snow day.

And here we are, snow day number 6!  This is the mother of all storms (so far) this year.  It's currently 12 noon and we have 16 inches of fresh snow.. with round two projected to begin later this afternoon.  Kudos to you, mother nature.  Kudos to you. 

Anyway, when we found out we were having a boy, I immediately started to draw up his nursery in my mind.  I am all about simple and classic, but I also love a little pattern and all things nautical.  (Thus the tattoo on my wrist.)  I (decorating is not Matt's forte) decided to go with a gray, black and white color scheme and throw in the chevron pattern here and there.  I began to do some searching in Etsy for things to put on his walls.  I found some canvas sets that I absolutely loved.  What I did not love about them was the price.  Lucky for me, one of my good friends is an art teacher at my school!  She said she had some extra canvases and we could totally do the project for free!

I was in!  However, my artistic ability is anything but.  She said she'd do the "difficult" parts and show me how to do the rest.  Challenge accepted.

I chose a set of three canvases - one large and 2 medium sized.  I went with my color scheme of gray, black and white and even threw in some nautical!

Here are some pictures from start to finish.  I am pretty proud of the end result and am excited to be able to tell our little guy that mommy did this project (with a lot of help from Julie) for him.





And finally, the finished product!




My plan is to hang these above his crib, but I won't make that final decision until his furniture comes in and we have it set up and put into place.

2 comments:

  1. OMG are you serious?? I LOVE THIS!!!!! Great job girlie!! BTW I meant to ask you do you have a glider picked out? If you want one remember to do it early - I was shocked ours takes like 10-12 weeks!! We got in January but won't be here till Mid March!! I had no clue!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is seriously a million times cuter than the canvas on Etsy, I LOVE it! And it will look so cute above his crib. I'm also a sucker for nautical, there is just something about it so I love your nursery that much more, lol. I can't wait to see what the rest looks like!

    ReplyDelete