Monday, January 27, 2014

Sunshine Award

Wow!  I don't even know where to start with this one!  My good friend, Stace, from over at Live, Laugh, Love, sent me a direct message on Instagram a few days ago telling me that I was one of five girls that she nominated for this award.  I felt so humbled by this nomination.  She chose me because she said our journey has inspired her.  Again, wow!  Thank you, Stace.  I love you and can't wait to see what Team Ricci has in store for 2014! (Also, this made me think of sunshine and warmth during this hellish Polar Vortex part 2.  I like me a little bit of winter, but I'm tired of this vortex lady and crazy cold weather and the super negative wind chills she brings with her.  Yes, I have deemed it a "her".  Bring on the sun!)




So, what exactly is the Sunshine Award?  It is an award given by women in the infertility community to bloggers that they feel bring sunshine and light to their lives.  Again, totally humbled.  As a nominee I have to answer ten questions that Stace gave me.  Then I get to choose five people of my own to nominate and give them ten questions to answer.  These questions can be about pretty much anything, and let me tell you, Stace gave me some good ones!  Without further ado, I present to you my answers.  And yes, I am long winded when it comes to writing, so they will be quite detailed and 100% honest.

1.  How/where/when did you & your hubby meet?

Ahh, this is quite a story.. and one I'm sure our child/children will be so proud of in the future!  Matt and I met about 8.5 years ago when I first moved to the area for my job.  We ended up in the same circle of friends, but 100% completely despised each other.  Not all hatred, but I'm talking a very strong dislike.  I thought he was a sarcastic a$$hole and he thought I was a sarcastic b-word.  Hey, one thing we had in common was our extreme sarcasm!  After a few years of ignoring each other or making snide comments to each other, we just sort of stopped talking.  Then one afternoon, I saw Matt leaving school while I was at field hockey practice (I used to coach this sport, too).  We had a short chat and that was it.  A few months later we both happened to be at a "classy" club in town with friends enjoying a snowy weekend (with lots of adult beverages).  We ended up playing darts together.  That lead to some Facebook chats/likes/comments and a few more drunken encounters (in which Matt said I got right in his face to have conversations).  Like four months of this.  School started the following year (almost a whole year after that awkward practice conversation) and we began exchanging daily emails.. which lead to hours of chatting each night.. which led to Matt asking me out on our first date.  We went out for dinner and Matt got to meet Sophie up close and personal for the first time.  He was not impressed with her lab-puppy "personality" at the time!  Two nights before I left for a week long girl's cruise.  Once I returned from the cruise, the rest is history.  We dated for a few months, got engaged, and got married about a year and a half after our first date.  Hey, when you know, you know.  So there you have it kids, your mom and dad started "liking" each other one drunken evening at a classy establishment in town.  Aren't you proud?

2.  How did your husband propose?

Ah yes, another good story!  A moment that I totally, 100% ruined without even knowing. We traveled to Sandbridge, VA for a week long beach vacation with Matt's family in July of 2011.  The day we arrived, we quickly unloaded the car and unpacked our things, and then made a bee-line to the beach and pool.  After a few hours of soaking in the sun and water, we showered and got ready for dinner.  We were sitting on the porch swing outside of our room and Matt asked if I wanted to go for a walk on the beach.  Being totally oblivious, I gave a very stern "no" and said I'd rather take a quick nap before dinner.  I was exhausted after being on the go since 4 am!  So, we went inside and laid in bed.  Matt started a nice conversation about our future right as his sister walked in to see if her husband could borrow a pair of shorts.  (Who forgets shorts at the beach, Luke?)  He seemed agitated, but gave her the shorts and shushed her out of the room.  Then, all nice and romantically (as I was annoyed because all I wanted was a nap), Matt got on one knee beside the bed, said some romantic words, and asked me to marry him!  Of course, I said absolutely!  And then he proceeded to tell me how I ruined the whole thing because I wouldn't go for a walk on the beach.  I felt like a total ass.  Sorry, Matt!

3.  What is one of your favorite quotes?

My hands down, number one, favorite quote is:
"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
This quote has a lot of meaning to me for family reasons and is one I always think of and resort to when I am on my way to what I think is rock bottom.  You have no idea how much strength lies within you, ladies!

4.  Who are some of your favorite musical artists?

I am a country girl.  Always have been, always will be.  I do like some other music as well.. like 90's boy bands.  Give it up for BSB, Nsync, and the one and only NKOTB!  (I have seen them all in concert more than once.  And at least two of them for a second time within the last five years.. or three.  LOSER!)  But, in the end, I always go back to my good old country.  I don't really have a favorite artist, but I would watch Luke Bryan "shake it for me" any day, any time!

5.  What is your favorite vacation spot?

This one is tough.  I LOVE to travel.  I love the beach, Disney, the mountains, and places overseas.  Our honeymoon was amazing - Venice, Burano, Murano, Sicily, Naples, Amalfi, Capri, Rome, Florence, Pisa, Barcelona, Dubrovnik (Croatia), and Monaco.  I could have spent weeks in each location.  I also love Disney.. but who doesn't?  And islands.  Who doesn't love a good beach with palm trees?  But, my all time favorite vacation spot is the Outer Banks, NC.  I have gone there with my family for at least two weeks every summer for the last thirteen years.. and even a few Thanksgiving weeks.  Matt and I got married there as well.  It is relaxing, peaceful, and just plain awesome.

6.  What are you most looking forward to about being a mommy?

There are so, so many things I am looking forward to.  The number one thing is just that I get to be someone's mommy.  I get to be responsible for a tiny human being that is half me.  I get to wipe the snotty noses, change dirty diapers, and cuddle with my little one when he or she is sick.  And I will be the one he or she calls mommy.. which will make every little thing (good or bad) and this entire infertility journey worth it.

7.  How many children do you want (if fertility, money, and time weren't factors)?

Four.  I've always wanted four.  A nice, even number!

8.  What three foods are your weakness that you either crave or can't live without?

Middleswarth potato chips (of the bbq or sour cream and onion variety), buffalo chicken anything, and cheese fries.  Don't judge.

9.  What are you three favorite clothing stores?

J.Crew (usually the outlet), Gap, and DSW.  (do shoe stores count?  I am in love with shoes.)

10.  What are some of the best life lessons you've learned?

Talk about deep.  I'm not going to elaborate too much on these, but they are the life lessons I feel have been the most important over the last few years.

a - You DO NOT and CAN NOT control the outcomes of your own life.  That is up to God and what He knows is best for you.  Yes, you can make your own decisions, but the ultimate answer to everything is up to Him.  And everything happens for a reason.

b - Not everyone will be in your life forever.  And that's ok.  You will find that people will use you, leave you when you need them the most, and distance themselves when something isn't easily comfortable for them.  And it's ok.  They were placed in your life for a reason, whether that is long term or short term.  Over time, when things get tough, you will learn who your real family and friends are and you will see who is going to be there for you no matter what.  Don't stress about it.

c - Life isn't a competition.  Don't compare yourself to others.  You are an individual.  Be you.  The one and only you.  No two people are the same.. and this goes for fertility cycles and pregnancies as well.  Every single case and every single person is different.

d - You determine how your day will go from the minute you wake up.  Set your own tone.  Decide to make it a good day (or not.. the choice is yours.  Sorry, SW people.  I had to) from the get-go.  

e - Dogs are a girl's best friend.  Hands down, no questions asked.

Ok.. I've written way too much and I am sure that boredom has officially set in.  So, time to nominate my five candidates.  They are (in no particular order!):

Megan at A Brink Adventure
Brooke at It's Just Endo Darling
Jen at Inconceivable
A at The Runaway Stork
Caroline at In Due time

Ladies, feel free to join in the fun if you feel so inclined.  If not, that's ok, too!  Here are the questions I am giving to you.  Some are new and some are repeats.

1.  How did you know your husband was "the one"?
2.  How far (if at all) would you go/continue with fertility treatments?
3.  What are you most looking forward to about being a mommy?
4.  What is your "happy place"?
5.  What is your biggest pet peeve?
6.  What are some of the best life lessons you have learned?
7.  What is your biggest fear?
8.  If money and time were not issues, what would your dream vacation look like?
9.  What is your favorite thing about family?
10.  What is your favorite book?

2 comments:

  1. It's wonderful to see you posting things that are reflective of you and not so much infertility or pregnancy. I found your blog through Google and it seems like a lot of infertility blogs soon become over the top pregnancy blogs (which can be hard to read for someone still cycling. I am on my sixth IUI and getting ready to move to IVF if this cycle fails). I like that you still write about other things, it's truly refreshing to us still struggling infertiles. If I may suggest, can you write posts on your journey and how you worked your way through things emotionally? I am really struggling and could use some advice. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVED reading these!! :) :) I couldn't stand Scott when I first met him either, haha! Funny how life works out. Love your life lessons. Well said!! Great post, thanks for answering!! <3 xoxo

    ReplyDelete