Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Newborn photos and maxi pads

Here we are.  Two and a half weeks into parenthood!  I must say, (knock on some serious wood) Hudson is a great baby.  And by great, I mean like excellent!  He likes to sleep.  He likes to eat.  Oh, and he poops A LOT!

Week two with this little guy was all over the place!  It was our first week all by ourselves, and it went surprisingly well.  We have been able to get Hudson on a schedule.  I am exclusively pumping because he has no interest in latching.  While it is a bit frustrating heating up bottles at 2am and pumping after, it is working out very well.  Thank goodness Daddy is home until mid-August!  He is up to 3.5 ounces a feeing and eats every four hours.  Right now, we eat at 6:00, 10:00, 2:00. 6:00, 10:00, and 2:00.  Four of these feedings are breast milk and two are formula.  Side note:  I have also been able to work on my "freezer stash" for when I go back to work.  I like knowing exactly how much he eats at each feeding.  He is awake for about an hour after each feeding (minus the 6:00pm.. he is up for 2 or 3 hours then!) and then sleeps until he either a - gets hungry, or b - we rock his world and change his diaper.  Another side note:  my kid does not like to be naked.  In fact, he screams until he is fully clothed!  Let's hope that lasts through his teenage years :)

Anyway, so far we are incredibly lucky.  He is sticking to this schedule and sleeping four hours at a time at night.  After his 6:00 am feeding, he goes back to sleep until 8 or 8:30, which means mommy and daddy get to go back to sleep as well!  Those extra two hours are da bomb.com.  

We have figured out our pee issue, and no longer go through five outfits and two crib sheets daily.  Huggies newborn are out, Pampers swaddlers are in!  Hudson has such tiny legs and the Huggies diapers do not allow us to close the diaper tight enough around his legs.  Explains the massive amounts of pee all over his clothes.. and ours.  

This week we learned: 

  • Hudson likes to be rocked to sleep after his night feedings
  • He is a fan of the paci at times, but spits it out after ten minutes max.  He does NOT use it at night.
  • The Mommaroo is a must.  Fo sho.
  • Keep the boy clothed, and he is happy.
  • Hudson hates socks.  Don't even bother.
  • Swaddling is out.  The ability to move is in!  He LOVES to sleep on his side.
  • Don't forget to "tuck it down".
  • Hudson gained some weight - he was up to 5 lbs, 7 oz at his two week appointment!
  • Sophie and Rooney love him and are protective of him - in a good way.
  • He likes car rides - and sleeps the entire time!


You know, just a few things :)  I love learning all about my little boy and adjusting and adapting as we go.

Week two also brought us our newborn photo shoot.  I scheduled our appointment for 9:30 am - when he is out like a light.  Normally.  We got up and went through our daily routine.  Hudson was fast asleep in his mommaroo when the photographer arrived.  We found the location we wanted to use, got everything set up, and re-located Hudson to the shoot location.  We took off his onesie and diaper.. and immediate bright eyes and screaming!  Remember.. he hates to be naked.  He refused to lay still in any position, he peed all over the blanket, and he cried like I have never heard him cry before.  I can sum up the entire three hour photo-shoot in three words:  TOTAL SHIT SHOW.

Despite the shit show, we did get some good shots!  Here are a few for you to enjoy :)  Kudos to JB Photography for working with us and being so patient.











Ok.. more than a few.  My bad.  Hudson is seriously a mini Matt!

And now.. for a momma update.  At this point, I should have bought stock in maxi pads.. of all varieties!  As you all know, I had a c-section.  Everything went great with the surgery and recovery.  I had my incision check last Friday and all was well.  Until last Saturday.  I had just finished feeding Hudson.  I stood up and go take the bottle to the kitchen and my mom said that Hudson has peed on me because my skirt was soaked.  However, H was not.  After a little more investigation, that "wet spot" was in fact blood.  From my incision.  Soaked through my underwear and my cotton maxi skirt.  WTF.  Low and behold, part of my incision broke open.  And it was Saturday.  Super!  I called the on call doctor and she said to just apply pressure and gauze until Monday.. and if it was still bleeding on Monday, I should call and be seen.  Of course it was still bleeding on Monday.  So, off to the doctor we went.  The first thing he did was take my steri-strips off.  Holy mother of pain.  While I am mostly numb in that area, I felt every single pull.  Imagine pulling off a super sticky bandaid on tender skin that was just sliced open.  I literally had to hold Matt's hand.  Ouch.  Then he inspected the incision.  Yes, it was open.  Yes, it was bleeding.  The fix?  Let it bleed out.  Keep changing the gauze so it soaked up the blood.  A small hematoma had formed under the skin that needed to get rid of itself.

So, I followed the directions. I changed the gauze many times a day until Friday.. when the bleeding magically stopped!  Hooray!  Until Saturday night.  Now, it is no longer bleeding, but instead is "oozing".  My sister in law (doctor who has had four c-sections herself) says it is a tiny "infection" and it just needs to "ooze out".  If it is still oozing on Friday, I'll be calling to be seen again since we will be at the three week mark.

This all brings me to maxi pads.. and the fact that I should own stock in them.  Every day, before I get in the shower, I prepare my "supplies" that I will need when I get out.  Here is what we are currently at:  One giant maxi pad for the "regular bleeding" that comes from giving birth.  Two nursing pads because these girls leak no matter what.  One pantyliner to put across the FRONT of my size XL granny panties so the "oozing" doesn't stain them if it soaks through the gauze.  One pack of gauze.  One strip of tape to hold the gauze in place (the nice to your skin kind of tape).  Basically, I'm padded all over the damn place!  Let's just hope this stuff clears itself up by the end of the week.  I'm not going to lie, it's getting kind of old by this point!

However, on a more positive note, I have officially lost 25 pounds without doing any more than walking!  The bulk of that weight is the water weight that is no longer chillin' in my legs, ankles and feet.  I can actually see my ankle bones again.  Eek!

Oh, and we are trying our first frozen crock pot meal tonight!  I'll let ya'll know how that works out.  If we like it (and the others are will be trying over the next couple of weeks), I will be mass producing before I go back to work in September!

1 comment: