My last few posts have been about some of the struggles we go through as infertiles, as well as the lessons we learn from these struggles. I've decided that it's time to change it up this week!
However, before I do, I must ask that you all say a little prayer for my blog friend, Holly. She and her husband recently suffered more loss than any mother and father should have to and my heart is breaking for them. Please check out their story at Oh Baby, Baby. And again, say a prayer.
The holidays are right around the corner. Literally. Thanksgiving is next week already! Can you believe it? I know that I say I love the fall season and it is my favorite. I do. I love the weather, the colorful leaves, hoodies, and breaking out boots. I also say that I love summer. I do. I get to spend most of my days with my husband (we are both teachers, but we do still have to work during the summer!), our dogs, and extended family as well as do some traveling. I have said that I love spring. Again, I do! I love seeing things bloom and grow into something beautiful, coaching my lacrosse girls, and breaking out flip flops. (I am so thankful that I live in a part of the country where we get to experience all four seasons!)
BUT, when I say that I LOVE the holiday season, I mean that I absolutely LOVE it for so many reasons! I love being able to spend time with family that we don't get to see often. I love turning my home into a winter wonderland (yes, I have already done most of this). I love wearing warm pajamas, fuzzy slippers, and sipping hot chocolate in front of my fireplace. I love turkey. And big family meals. I love the smell of the fresh Christmas tree in our living room. I love the fact that we can go to a Christmas tree farm, walk around and cut down the tree of our choice. I love giving gifts to other people and seeing their faces light up (hopefully) when they open them. I love singing Christmas carols and listening to Christmas music 24/7. I love celebrating the real reason for the season.
It is all around just a magical season. And it makes me smile.
My good friend Chelsea from over at Starbucks, Peace and the Pursuit of a Baby gave me the inspiration for this post. (If you haven't checked out her blog before, I highly recommend that you do. She is super sweet and it's A+ material.) She recently posted about Thanksgiving BEFORE Christmas and how some skip the turkey day decor and celebrations and go straight to the Christmas season while others do not.. and that both are perfectly ok. In that same post she created a holiday bucket list for she and her husband and asked for reader's suggestions. What could be more perfect at this time of year than a holiday bucket list?! I have decided to "borrow" the idea and create a Top 20 type of bucket list for Matt and myself this season. (It's not necessarily a bucket list because we have done some in the past.) So, in no particular order.. here are my top 20. Plus two for good measure!
1. Turn our home into a peaceful winter wonderland.
2. Decorate our Christmas tree together.
3. Make/buy an Advent calendar and count down the days while remembering the reason for the season.
4. Continue our Christmas Eve pajama tradition. (I can't wait until we can include a child in this one)
5. Display the Christmas cards we receive from other people.
6. Drive around just to look at Christmas lights while rocking out to Christmas music.
7. Watch as many Christmas movies as possible. And maybe set a new record for the number of times we watch Christmas Vacation!
8. Attend a Christmas Eve church service.
9. Buy a new tree ornament to represent something we did this year.
10. Make a Gingerbread house.
11. Bake Christmas cookies.. dozens of Christmas cookies.
12. Get Sophie and Rooney to SIT together (without playing) and look at the camera for a family photo.
13. Drop my extra change into the Salvation Army Santa buckets.
14. Send Christmas cards that include a personal note to all of my lovely IF ladies.
15. Sip a hot drink while sitting in front of the fireplace with my husband.
16. Get one out-of-this-world deal on Black Friday.
17. Throw a great Thanksgiving meal for our family.
18. Visit the loved ones we have lost.
19. I love Chelsea's idea of re-inacting a Christmas photo with siblings from when we were younger. Andy and Abby, we have many to choose from!
20. Spend time with our family WITHOUT any electronic device. No cell phone, no iPad, no iPod, no computer. Time together with no distractions!
21. One more for good measure. Say "Merry Christmas" to everyone who says "Happy Holidays" to me. (I am talking those store employees when you check out.)
22. Ok, maybe two more. Wear a festive Christmas shirt. (It is already ordered and I CANNOT wait!)
I am sure there are many, many more that are way better than what I have listed. However, these are the first things that came to mind when I sat down to think about it. As you can tell, I am pretty pumped for the upcoming holidays. I am fortunate enough to be able to spend them with Matt, the dogs, and both of our families and that is what means the most.
As for our weekly infertility update.. we are continuing to be patient. We still ask for continued prayers. They are appreciated more than you know.
Cheers to the upcoming weeks!
No comments:
Post a Comment