Today we had our "wtf" appointment with our RE. When I say wtf, I mean we discussed wtf happened with our failed cycle and wtf are we going to do next.
I have to start out by saying that I absolutely LOVE Dr. B. Every time I talk to him in person, I leave feeling fifty times better than I did when I walked in that door. I feel rejuvenated. I have a new, fresh sense of hope. Today was no different.
We had to meet at our clinic's new location today - in Camp Hill. Different direction in travel, and a VERY small office. But cozy.. despite the awkward extremely bright colored walls that he said the contractors messed up!
We had no wait time and were immediately taken back to his office. The first thing we did was sign consent forms for our next cycle. Next came the discussion. He said he is frustrated for us and completely understands that we are, too.
He chalked our failure up to one or more of the following things.
1 - Just plain crappy luck. The embryos just simply did not attach.
2 - They chose the wrong embryos. At the time of this transfer, we had 14 embryos in the freezer. I am ecstatic about this number. However, it makes it very difficult for the embryologists to determine which embryo(s) is the very best. It is also difficult to determine which have a bigger likelihood of becoming a viable pregnancy. This is not a bad problem to have, and I am not complaining.. but it is a problem.
3 - The blood in my uterus is clotting and preventing the embryos from attaching. This is nothing something that can be tested, so there is no positive way of knowing if this is or is not a problem. But it doesn't hurt anything to treat it as if it were a problem.
So, where do we go from here?
We do another frozen cycle and transfer.
What do we do differently?
Not much. We hope that maybe it was just crappy luck. We hope that this time the RIGHT embryos are chosen. And, we adjust my medication protocol.
I will still be getting the Del Estrogen and Progesterone in Oil injections. However, this time I will add in a Lovenox (blood thinner) injection to get rid of any clotting--if there is any, and a steroid pill to get rid of any inflammation.
IF this works, AWESOME!
If it doesn't? We do the same thing next cycle and add in two endo biopsies to further examine my uterine lining and see if it is a hostile environment. Why are we not doing this for our third cycle? Dr. B doesn't feel that there is a strong positive or negative to doing this testing after one failed cycle and one cycle that resulted in a loss. After two failed cycles, then yes.. it has a positive.
Today was a lot to take in and digest, but it was all good. I love that he has a plan for us. I love that he thinks ahead to what we can do IF this one does not work. I just really, really like him and our clinic!
With that being said, Happy almost Friday! And HAPPY HAPPY fall weather!! Enjoy those high school football games tomorrow night!
No comments:
Post a Comment