As I wrap up my first official week of work, I can't help but to have some thoughts and experiences to reflect on.
My new schedule consists of my alarm sounding off at 5:00 am. I get myself ready. I then pack Hudson's bottles and last minute things into his bag. I pack my lunch and get my gigantic water bottle ready for the day. I pack my school bag. I load everything in my car. I (usually have to wake up) get Hudson up. Change him, dress him, sit with him in my arms for a few minutes. I load him into the car seat. Matt puts him in my car. We are on the road to the sitter by 6:55 am. I drop him off and am out of her house (we chit chat for a few minutes) and am on the road to work by 7:15.. accompanied by some tears. I arrive at work no later than 7:30 as most of my mornings consist of meetings from 7:35-8:10. I teach from 8:20-3:15. I am lucky enough to have my sitter drop Hudson off to me by 4:00 pm each day. If she doesn't drop him off, Matt or I are at her house by 4:00 to get him. We get home, change and do our daily run or work out. (I have started a Couch to 5K program.. more on that in another post.) Then it's time to feed Hudson his dinner and make ours. We eat, clean up, and bathe Hudson. I make bottles and prepare his things for the next day. And at 8:00 pm I finally sit down and snuggle with my boy until 9:00 pm when it's time for his bedtime bottle. And then we all crash. And at 5:00 am it starts all over again.
Oh, and somewhere in there I go to the bathroom. I forget to do that now that I am at work. That is seriously one of the most difficult things about being a teacher. You can't just leave your room to go anytime you want.. you have to plan that stuff! Six minutes between periods? Ok, I think I can sprint down the hall to the bathroom, do my biz, and get back by the time the next class starts. The struggle is real, folks. The struggle.is.real. And lunch.. inhaling lunch in twenty minutes tops. Teachers are really professional speed eaters. Just watch one eat sometime and you will see what I mean.
It is hectic, and I am totally exhausted this week, but it is working. I know I will be completely adjusted within a few weeks, but it is definitely going to take time.
As I sit here typing this, I just remembered that I forgot to get something out for dinner tonight. Fail. See? I am still adjusting.
So, some things I have learned during this week.
- Get everything possible ready the night before. Because when morning rolls around, you either won't want to do it or won't have time.
- Buy good dark spot concealer. This momma has gigantic bags under her eyes. I found some good under eye concealer. Albeit a little pricey, totally worth it.
- Pack extra of everything for baby. Hudson has decided that this week was perfect timing for up-the-back blow-outs and huge spit-ups. We upped him a diaper size (2's already. Cue ugly crying here.). The first two days he went through a total of five outfits. Yikes. Sorry, my dear sitter. Also, he decided to apparently have a growth spurt this week and eat like a horse. So glad I threw that extra packet of formula and bottle of water in his bag so she could feed him when hungry. Time for cereal soon? Good possibility!
- Pack extra shoes for momma. I haven't worn real shoes since I was six months pregnant.. when my feet no longer fit into anything but flip flops. That was seven months ago. To say my feet are covered in blisters is an understatement. I'm trying. I am. But my feet welcomed the ability to wear sneakers on our spirit day today. Thank you, admin. Thank you.
- Just know that you are going to be late. On more than one occasion. And be ok with it. And I am. I can already tell it's going to happen. I just need to remember to go with the flow and that it will all work out. My schedule-minded self may have a mini panic attack the first time it happens, but I will undoubtedly get over it!
- Make a menu. We have always had a dinner menu, but now I realize just how important it really is. If I don't have that menu, I forget to get something out for dinner. And then we play the game of "what do you want for dinner?" "I don't care, what do you want?" And then we eat some sort of unhealthy fast food. Menu is key.
- Pick your clothes out the night before. This is incredibly important right now. I still have 20 pounds of baby weight to lose. I am struggling with my appearance and weight. None of my normal clothes fit, so I had to go on a shopping spree with my mom over the weekend. Right now, if I don't pick out my clothes the night before, I literally will spend twenty minutes in my closet trying on things only to realize they don't fit. Then my self-esteem floats right out of my closet window (yes, we have one.. it's weird) and I end up putting on something that makes me feel like total crap. This also entails checking the weather every night to have some sort of idea what it's going to be like the following few days. Granted, the weather man is generally wrong, but you get an idea.
- Buy waterproof mascara. I cried before I walked out of the door Monday morning. I cried the whole way to the sitters. I kept my composure at her house. I cried on the way to school. I cried every time a co-worker asked about Hudson. I cried happy tears when I got to see him!
- Get ready to answer stupid questions. "Do you miss your baby?" Are you people for real right now? While your thoughtfulness is appreciated, it's like a total no brainer. No shit. Of course I miss my son (that I have spent the last twelve weeks 24/7 with)! A better question might be, "How are you doing?" "Do you need anything?" Or just give me a hug and/or tell me you know what I'm going through and that it will be ok.
- Make sure you are more than happy with your day-care arrangements. Believe it or not, it does make things just a little bit easier. I got Hudson on Monday and she told me about his blow-outs. And she washed his clothes. She literally did his laundry. And washed his bottles for me. Way more than I could have expected. They go for walks, they run errands, they play outside, they play inside, they watch Disney. I get a full run-down at the end of the day. I get pictures via text message any time I want. He is out of his car seat and in her hands before I leave every minute. She tells me how awesome and cute he is daily. Her own kids flock to Hudson the minute I walk in the door each morning. So far, I am love-love-loving her.
- I have some pretty amazing family members, co-workers, and friends. The amount of cards, flowers, text messages, phone calls, candy, stuffed animals for Hudson and Starbucks drinks that I received upon my return is incredible. These people are truly Godsends in my life and knew just how to pick me up when I was down. And feeling crappy about having to be a working mom. Thank each and every one of you from the bottom of my heart. Your kindness will not ever be forgotten.
The best part of my day is seeing Hudson when he is either delivered to me or I pick him up. Hearing about all of his experiences throughout the day and being told he is an excellent little boy is the icing on the cake. His immediate smile makes all of the pain and heart break of leaving him go away. He still loves me. And he still knows I am his mommy. And that means the world to me. While I wish more than anything that I could be home with him, I am comforted by the fact that he is being well taken care of during the day. And even though he is only thirteen weeks old, he is making friends with the other two kiddos there as well.
And yes, I just said that Hudson is thirteen weeks. Where has the time gone? It sure does fly when you are having fun. And when you want your baby to stay a baby forever.
TGIF everyone. We are giving Hudson his first Mustang football experience tonight at the Corral!
So glad you survived the first week! Thinking of you!
ReplyDeleteSeriously! This gives me anxiety because it will be my life next year and I have no clue how I'm going to handle it. Kudos to you for getting down a good routine that works for your family.
ReplyDelete